It is important to know how to protect your online business and your customers’ data. Here is how to protect ecommerce websites from hacking and online frauds!
As you probably know hackers and cybercriminals are stealing credit card information form ecommerce websites. In order to ensure your customers your website is a safe place to shop online, it is important to know how to protect your online business, your store, and your customers’ personal information.
In this article, we are going to share a few helpful tips on how to protect ecommerce websites from hacking and online frauds:
- Select a secure ecommerce platform – You need to use a reliable and secure ecommerce software only. Before you choose a certain ecommerce platform, make sure to check whether or not they use a sophisticated and secure object-oriented programming language.
- Don’t store sensitive data – There is absolutely no reason to store all of your customer’s credit, especially personal information such as credit card numbers, CVV2 or card verification value and expiration dates. Keep a minimal amount of data only!
- Utilize a secure connection for online checkout – It is necessary to use strong SSL or Secure Sockets Layer authentication for data protection. By doing so, you will be able to protect your online business, your store, and your customers from getting their important information stolen.
- Require strong passwords – As a business owner, it is your responsibility to keep the customer information safe, however, you can also help your customers by requiring a minimum number of characters and the use of numbers and symbols.
- Layer your security – One of the best strategies to keep your business safe from hackers is layering your security. You can begin with firewalls, a very important aspect in stopping cybercriminals before they can enter your network and access your important data.
- Use tracking numbers for all orders – In order to fight online frauds and hacking, you should have a tracking number for every order you send out. This is crucial for all those retailers who drop ship.
- Organize a security training for all of your employees – Your employees need to know they should never text or email important data or private customer information. The employees should also be educated on the policies and laws that affect personal data and be trained on the methods and actions to keep that information safe.
If you want a better protection, consider a fraud management service for ecommerce websites.